Tired of that awful smell coming from your garbage disposal. Let’s look at ways to clean your garbage disposal safely and naturally.
According to an article at angieslist.com, “5 Tips on How to Clean the Garbage Disposal”
“Cleaning the disposal is simple. Here are the steps:
- Turn the unit on and run cold water.
- Empty two to four trays of ice cubes into the sink, and feed the ice cubes into the disposal as quickly as it will take it. This will freeze all the stuck debris, causing it to chunk off the impeller blades and out of the holes in the plate/flywheel.
- Let the water run for a full minute after the last cube is broken up.
- If the garbage disposal smells bad, you can chop up a lemon and feed it down the unit. But be sure to feed small chunks so the impeller blades can deal with the tough peel without trouble!
- To get rid of smells lingering after the lemon, use a safe, biodegradable drain cleaning product in the disposal such as Bio-Clean. Don’t use drain cleaners, which are mainly fine sand and bleach, or caustics such as Drano, which will corrode your unit’s guts very quickly and cut the life of it in half.” To read the entire article click here.